Pokemon Go: The App I wish I could show my younger self

11:40 am Unknown 0 Comments

This is just going to be a short post, as I feel like I owe it to a younger version of me.

As you are sure to know by now, Pokemon Go has taken the world by storm over the past few weeks! Growing up, I was obsessed with Pokemon; I watched the show and movies, played the games, collected the cards, and had so many Pokemon toys. I always wished that I could be a Pokemon Trainer myself, and go around and collect Pokemon of my own.

So you can image how excited the child within felt when Pokemon Go was released!
Annoyingly, I could't download it straight away and was very jealous of my friends who had it. But about a week or so after it's release, my phone allowed me to download it, and my nerdy self was far too excited!


Although it's a pain with how much it drains your phone battery, and is still having some glitches, there is so many things I love about the app!

I feel like a real Pokemon Trainer!
I love being able to physically walk around in the real world, catching Pokemon and visiting stops and gyms! While it is structured differently to the classic game, with no battling (yet!), and collecting multiple of the same Pokemon, I feel like I have a virtual trainer alter ego in my pocket!

The app promotes being active
It's great how this is a game that requires you to be physically active, rather than sitting around playing to get to the next level. I think it's such a wonderful way to use technology to promote the importance of exercise to a world that is so revolved around electronic systems, especially in such a fun and nostalgic way!
Also, stop blaming the app for all this stupid behaviour associated with it, such as driving while playing, that's just idiotic people..

Bringing people together
Probably my favourite thing about the app is how it brings people together. I'm quite an introverted person, but lately my friends and I have been using the app to go for drives or trips to the park, and it's fantastic! We spent hours walking around a lake last week (after a lovely brunch catch up) exercising and chatting, while building our Pokemon collection.


The app has really rekindled my love for Pokemon. I may be 22, but I'm remembering why I loved it so much, and finding it enjoyable from a different perspective. Alongside Disney and Harry Potter, Anime, and particularly Pokemon, is just one of the nerdy things about me :)

If only I could tell my 8 year old self, that her geeky Pokemon obsession was about to completely blow her mind!

Jess xx


0 comments: