Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

3:05 pm Unknown 0 Comments


July 31st, 2016 was the day I never thought I would say the words 'the 8th Harry Potter book has been released!'

While I was of course excited about new Harry Potter content, I was a little sceptical about enjoying it as much, due to it being a playwright rather than a novel. However, that was not the case! I got lost in the world of Harry Potter as much as I did with any of the other books in the series, and really enjoyed reading the new story.


I didn't end up getting the book the day it came out, like the majority of Harry Potter fans (last book release I was lucky enough to get the hardcover of the final book from my dad!) While I definitely went to get it when I was at the book shop, I found it to be sold out at many places. But on the Thursday after the release, I ventured into the beautiful and massive Dymocks in Melbourne and was thrilled to see they had many in stock!

On top of that, the Melbourne Dymocks store had set up the store in celebration of the release! There was so much Harry Potter merch, house flags, floating candles, and classroom set ups! It took me right back to my childhood, when Harry Potter promotion and merchandise was everywhere.
I remember Myer use to have a pop up Harry Potter store within the shop, and I can tell you that I would give anything for that to exist again, I really took it for granted..


Speaking of being a kid again, that's exactly the excitement I felt having a new Harry Potter book in my hands! I just couldn't wait to finish my uni class and get back home to read it.

The following contains spoilers!

                                               __________________________________

One thing about The Cursed Child, was that it gave me closure about the previous Harry Potter stories, so thank you JK Rowling!
Firstly, about Harry, Ron, Hermione, and even Draco; hearing more about their relationships with each other, and their careers.
But also closure about the children; the last book didn't give an insight into what the new generation was like, so it was nice focusing on them in this story. (Although, this book mainly concentrates on Albus Potter and Scorpios Malfoy, and I was left wondering what happened to Teddy Lupin..)

What I also loved about this next instalment was how the plot revolved a lot around Time and incorporated the past events of the Tri Wizards Tournament. It really made me think how much JK Rowling would have worked on the story, and how careful she had to be with details, to connect everything together! And I wonder how long she has know about what happens 19 years later..
Then there's Albus and Scorpios tampering with the past to right Harry's wrong, and prevent Cedric from being killed, and in turn, completely changing the future! I love how JK Rowling incorporated how important Neville was to the story. Considering he could easily have been the chosen one, and if he died, there would have been no one to kill Nagini and Voldemort would live! I was on the edge of my seat reading these parts of the story, and it was absolutely stressing me out!

But undoubtedly the biggest twist in The Cursed Child was, who I believe, the title cursed child was. I often speculated what the Harry Potter titles refer to while reading them, and had an assumption that the curse belonged to Albus, or even Harry, but I was completely shocked when I found out who Delphi, truly was.. It was the biggest shock to hear that Voldemort had a daughter.. to Bellatrix Lestrange!

Also, how awesome was Scorpios Malfoy?! He was so sweet and dorky, I loved him!

                                                __________________________________


After closing the book I was left with similar feelings I had the last time the Harry Potter story finished.. I just laid on the floor, wondering what to do with my life now..?
That's the frustrating thing about a good book, you want to finish it.. but at the same time, you really don't!

I have to thank JK Rowling once again for bringing us back to the wonderful, magical world! Harry Potter will not only be a huge part of my time growing up, but it will always be a part of my life.


I now hope that I get the opportunity to see the play in the near future!


Let me know in the comments what you thought of The Cursed Child, and how excited you were for a new Harry Potter story!

Now I'm probably going to have yet another Harry Potter movie marathon, and wonder why I still haven't received my Hogwarts letter..

Jess xx

Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home. - JK Rowling

0 comments: